Did you know that…
- All DPS students may eat a complimentary breakfast at school every day. And if your student is running a little bit late and arrives after the tardy bell many schools offer breakfast after the bell and your child may still get a breakfast meal. And over (80) schools offer breakfast in the classroom so that your child may eat a healthy breakfast with their classmates.
- Our recipes are developed in house by expert chefs, reviewed by our registered dieticians to ensure they are healthy and tasty. Many items are freshly prepared from scratch every day in kitchens across the district. Some of our more popular scratch cooked items include homemade bread and rolls, chicken alfredo, ham and cheese hot pockets, and green chili lasagna.
- Every day your child has the opportunity to choose fruits and vegetables at breakfast and at lunch. We too are interested in locally sourced items so when available we serve vegetables grown at one of the three DPS farms and produce from Colorado farmers.
- The Food and Nutrition Services team wants to partner with parents to help your children develop healthy eating habits. So our new school meals focus on more whole grains, fruits and vegetables and less sodium and fat.
- Our staff is trained on culinary techniques including baking, cooking, health and safety guidelines, and food presentation. If school meals look tasty and appetizing they will be eaten. And well-nourished kids are ready to learn and do better in class.
- We have over 900 staff members who work in school kitchens across the district who serve almost 90,000 meals a day. It is a privilege to feed your children and we are dedicated to making school meals high quality, nutritious, tasty and healthy. We love our jobs and appreciate the opportunity to work with DPS staff and parents to support the academic success and health needs of ALL DPS students.